Sunday, February 1, 2009

My MM550XD rebuild

I am rebuilding an ex-army 99 MM550XD 4x4 into my daily driver cum off-roader. This vehicle is the first project for my workshop specializing in off-road vehicles.

The vehicle will be overhauled and modified to improve its off-road capabilities.

It will receive:

  • 33" tyres
  • The final drive ratio will be changed from 4.88 to 5.875
  • A shackle lift
  • Softer rear suspension
  • The anti-roll bar will be removed
  • Differential guards
  • Rock sliders
  • A roll cage for the driver and co-driver
  • The fuel tank will be lifted
  • Snorkel air intake
  • Water resistant electricals
  • HID headlamps

The doors have been removed as I found them to be quite a nuisance on my 540. The B pillar will be chopped. Detachable fabric doors will serve as protection from the elements.

I will eventually install a PTO winch and replace the rear LSD with a differential lock.
The vehicle will be capable of fording 1500mm of water. 

With my old MM540's wheels and tyres

The body removed for painting


3 comments:

  1. Wishing you all the Luck !!
    When're you coming to delhi ?
    Should I get in touch with the seats-guy ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great . Am also looking to get an exArmy 550XDP from mayapuri and do it up. Kindly post photos of your project and what colour are you going to paint the JEEP.

    ReplyDelete
  3. nitin
    good work brother
    i am too looking for such kind of jeep could u suggest where i could find economical Mahindra MM550XD or mahindra rclgun jeep. mayapuri sellers are charging too high , if u know any direct contractor plz let me know my no is 9313564889-delhi

    ReplyDelete